– Photography –
“Photography has made me face so many challenges in trying to express my art,
especially in an environment where many people are afraid of cameras.
However, through art I have had so many good moments and have had the opportunity
to go to so many places I had never been.”
Artwork statement: None
- What was your experience with art as a child and growing up?
I grew up around people who would make clay pots and other artworks from scrap. But then as I grew up, I embraced digital photography as an art medium. I moved to South Africa in search of green pastures at the age of 19, where I worked informal jobs before attending photography school. After I earned my certificate, I worked as a freelance photographer. In 2011, I returned home to Zimbabwe.
- Who or what influences your art? How would you like your art to influence others?
My art is influenced by those around me. I would like my art to highlight challenges and solutions to problems and achievements around us.
- How do you define the following: Art? Sustainability? Zimbabwe?
Art: A space that gives freedom of expression and can be used for sustainable development
Zimbabwe: Filled with art history, and as artists we have to work hard to preserve and also highlight sustainable solutions to everyday challenges
- What is the best way for a viewer/reader to experience your art?
- What do you think sets you apart from other artists in Zimbabwe?
Artwork title: Untitled