David HD Hondoyedzomba
– Music –
“[I intend] to make a living through my musical skills and talent, making it worthwhile to continue surviving
as a competitive musician in the territory. And to get paid for my and my team’s efforts,
because we believe we are adding value to the industry.”
What inspires you?
David “HD” Hondoyedzomba
Artwork statement: None
- What was your experience with art as a child and growing up?
My dad played part-time in a local band and had an acoustic guitar at home. I started stealing it, even though I didn’t know how to play it. One of my teachers eventually taught me. After a friend introduced me to Bon Jovi, I fell in love with music and live performances.
- How did it evolve over time?
I formed my first band in 1997. We would walk more than 20 kilometers just to practice, hang around at more established musicians’ shows, and perform for free. Our first paid gig was opening for Leonard Zhakata.
- Who or what influences your art? How would you like your art to influence others?
I’m inspired by international musicians and my origins as a Zimbabwean, with all the cultural attachments. Through my music, I portray who I am and where I come from.
- How do you define the following: Art? Sustainability? Zimbabwe?
Art: Self-expression through creative mediums that aims to entertain, educate, or inform
- What is the best way for a viewer/reader to experience your art?
Live stage performance or live recorded video
- What do you think sets you apart from other artists in Zimbabwe?
Originality, consistency, and an early bid to be professional
Artwork title: How much longer?